Portable workstations provide ergonomic benefits to your employees, increase their productivity, and help you grow your business in a flexible way.
What are Portable Workstations?
Portable workstations, also known as portable office desks or mobile workstations, are typically small computer desks that can be moved or adapted easily to fit the needs of a workspace.
The versatile design of portable workstations makes it possible to utilize a single desk—or a small office space—for more than one purpose.
Different types of portable office desks can be used for different purposes. For example, some have wheels and can be moved from one space to another. Others have an adjustable height and can be changed from a sitting to a standing position. Still others have foldable legs, allowing them to be easily collapsed when not in use.
Whether you're outfitting the corporate office of a small but growing business or looking for a way to get your laptop off the dining table, a portable workstation is a versatile desk that allows for easy mobility and optimal use of small spaces.
The Benefits of Using a Portable Office Desk
Portable office desks have numerous advantages for the individuals using them and for the company as a whole.
The adaptability of mobile desks means employees get the most ergonomic designs possible. They can adjust the height of the work surface, the space variance between the two tiers (when applicable), and, usually, the angle of the writing surface or keyboard. These adaptations go a long way in keeping people physically healthy.
In addition to the excellent health benefits, mobile desks can also solve many logistical problems. With the versatility of moveable workstations, your space can work much better for you and your team.
For instance, employees can more easily come together in teams to collaborate on projects. This cooperative approach spurs creativity and productivity, helping you further grow your business.
Further, with portable desks, you increase the flexibility of your office. This is great if you use your office for multiple purposes. The office could be rearranged to accommodate an office-wide workshop or brainstorming session, a product demo, or a photo shoot.
You could even move the desks around throughout the day to adapt to the levels of light streaming through the window at any given time.
Why You Might Want to Consider Mobile Desks
If you are dealing with any of the following challenges, you may want to consider switching to a portable workstation.
- Workplace injuries. If you or your employees are suffering from back pain, tendinitis, muscle strain, carpal tunnel, or bad posture, a poorly designed workspace could be to blame. A mobile workstation can offer you the flexibility of changing positions throughout the day and adjusting all aspects of the workstation setup for maximum comfort.
- Lack of space. If you're working from home and don't have enough space, a portable workstation can help you make the best use of the space you do have. Set a desk up where you need it during the day and stow or move it at the end of the day. If you're really short on space, you might consider a desk converter that attaches to an existing surface like a countertop or table to make a portable laptop desk.
- Lack of flexibility. If your business has been growing steadily and you're running out of space, portable desks can help you maximize it. Whether employees need to move their desks around to work collaboratively or clear the office for a photo shoot, portable workstations will increase your flexibility for as long as you're in your current space.
What to Look for in a Portable Workstation
Once you've made the decision to purchase a portable workstation, there are many factors to consider. Mobile desks come in a variety of types, sizes, and styles, and knowing the range of possibilities makes it easier to find the right desk for you.
- Powered vs. non-powered stations. Does it come with onboard charging capabilities to power devices?
- Footprint. How much space does the workstation take up? Can it fit into tight spaces?
- Desktop workspace. How much surface workspace is available? Can people fit a computer, notebook, coffee cup, etc., on it without worrying about knocking things off?
- Tiers. Does it have more than one tier? If space is limited, a two-tiered desk makes the best possible use of it.
- Flexibility. What is the range of motion for the desktop surface? Can it be used both sitting and standing? What angles can it be tilted to?
- Weight. How heavy is it? Will employees be able to move it around easily?
- Wheels. Is the portable office desk on wheels or casters? How robust are they? Are there any lockable wheels to give the desk added stability?
- Foldability. A folding desk collapses for easy storage when not in use, making it the optimal space-saver. Foldable legs are ideal if you plan to store your adjustable desk in the living room or guest room. Consider whether folding desks make sense for your office.
- Assembly. Is it easy to assemble? Does the company offer assembly?
- Computer compatibility. Can the workstation be used with a monitor and CPU or is it only compatible with laptops? Does it include at least one USB port?
- Construction. What materials were used to make the workstation? Are they high-quality and durable? Are they aesthetically pleasing?
- Extra features. Some adjustable computer desks come with additional features that make your flexible work environment even more comfortable. For example, you may find models that include a cup holder, phone holder, keyboard tray, or peripheral tray. Most ergonomic desks also include or have room for wrist pads and a mouse pad. Make sure to seek out an option with all the features you need.
Find Your Custom Portable Workstation Today
Whether you're tired of working at the kitchen table, want to set up your own home office, or are ready to outfit your company's space with versatile office furniture, Workspace Resource can help you find the ideal option. Contact us today to discuss the best custom workstation solution for your space.