How you set up your desk aesthetics can have a significant impact on your mood, satisfaction, and productivity. When you add details that are pleasing to the eye and eliminate visual clutter, you create an ideal workspace.
Read on if you’re unsure how to make your desk aesthetically pleasing or even simply looking for new ways to freshen up your workspace. You’ll discover helpful tips to elevate your desk setup, from well-organized minimalist desktops to cozy accessories.
What are aesthetic desk setup ideas?
Aesthetic desk designs
The foundation for creating an aesthetically pleasing desk area starts with choosing a suitable desk for your office workspace. When selecting a desk, choose one that adequately fits your office space while providing plenty of room to work. Desks can range in various styles depending on your office's design. Color and texture play an essential role in aesthetics. Wood adds warmth, while a metal desk provides a sleek, clean appearance.
Types of Desks:
- Mid-century modern desks have a simple structure with clean lines and soft curves. These desks offer functionality and an appealing style.
- Minimalist desks tend to come in white or neutral wood tones. They offer a sleek, smooth workplace. Many minimalist desks resemble a small table, while others provide a few drawers to help keep your desktop neat.
- If your office allows for personality, consider colorful options. Choose bright colors for active, creative work environments. In contrast, neutral colors impart a contemplative work environment, or you could opt for an exciting design element like faux marble.
- Standing desks give you the freedom to gain different viewpoints on your office. These desks may come in adjustable options allowing you to go from sitting to standing.
Desk chair options
Once you’ve chosen your desk, it’s time to pair it with the right desk chair. A few factors to consider when selecting a desk chair include its ergonomic comfort, wheels or fixed legs, and overall design structure.
- Ergonomic desk chairs are a modern office design trend that proves that comfort reigns supreme. If you’re sitting for eight hours in your chair, you need it to support you. With a design that provides much-needed back support, you’ll stay seated longer and accomplish more.
- Desk chairs with wheels offer kinesthetic appeal.
- Conversely, desk chairs with fixed legs provide a stylish element to your office space.
- Chairs with arms give you a place to rest and lean.
- Armless chairs make it easy to shift in and out of your seat.
- Consider adding a chair cover for more comfort. One great option is to add a faux fur seat cover if your office space allows for a cozier aesthetic.
The proper lighting can have a big impact on the overall aesthetic of your desk setup. Natural lighting tends to offer the best option. However, your office space may not have access to windows. In that case, consider lighting that illuminates your workspace with efficiency and ambiance.
- Desk lamps add extra light where you need it. Choose a desk lamp that offers a warm tone for easier viewing of reading materials. Lamps with an adjustable arm offer style and functionality.
- RGB lighting uses LED strips to add backlighting to your desk area. This lighting feature adds drama and interest to your workspace. You can choose from a full palette of colors, from neutral to a broad spectrum of tones.
- Neon wall art adds light, color, and an artful statement. If your office workspace allows you to show off your personality, you can add glowing shapes to your walls and desktop area.
A well-organized desk eliminates clutter and unsightly cables. Plus, it can look more welcoming. Choose organizational ideas and elements that keep your supplies handy, your essential paperwork easy to locate, and your messy items like unruly cables out of sight.
- Cable management is vital for a pleasant desk area appearance. A power cord box works well to hide the unsightly collection of wires.
- A dual-monitor stand not only looks great but also lifts everything and reclaims that valuable desk real estate. These stands come in several styles, including riser shelves, freestanding mounts, and wall mounts.
- Floating shelves work well if your desk is near a wall. These shelves free up desk space and look attractive.
- Adjustable desk shelves sit on your desk and provide a home for all your extra necessities. Choose shelves that match or complement your desk design.
- A faux book display can offer a clever solution for a jumble hiding wires or any other collection of unsightly clutter. The fake book spines provide the illusion of a small library of books. Behind the facade, you can hide away necessities that you’d rather not see.
- Storage solutions can provide a clutter-free aesthetic value to your shelves and desk surface. Small bins for storage of pens, pencils, and other small supplies can add decor to your workspace.
- A standing clipboard creates aesthetic interest and works great for attaching loose paperwork for safekeeping or for reference as you work.
- A minimalist-inspired tissue box cover adds decor to your workspace. Even though tissue boxes now come in designs, those patterns may not match your workspace aesthetic. The tissue box cover lets you maintain your sleek or cozy design preferences.
Keyboards and Mouse Aesthetics
Don’t forget your keyboards and mouse when designing your desktop setup. Several products for keyboards allow you to add color, personality, and a more desirable texture as you type. Plus, your mouse can match your design and color choices for extra stylish flair.
- A wireless keyboard makes typing-up reports a little more enticing. Shop for keyboards in colors and styles that match your design style.
- A keyboard cover can transform your existing keyboard. Covers come in various colors and patterns, from ombre to vivid colors to bold solids.
- An ergonomic mouse is an aesthetic you can feel. If you’re prone to wrist pain or like the ease of this functional design, it’s worth adding to your desktop.
- A wireless mouse also helps with desktop aesthetics. The lack of wire frees up space and makes it look pleasing. Plus, you can match the color and pattern of your wireless mouse to your keyboard.
Desk pads and Mousepads
Cushioned desk pads and mousepads soften your desktop setup while offering an opportunity to add decor. These surfaces help to pull together your desktop design elements.
- A colorful desk mat can cheer up a plain desk surface. These desk mats come in fun colors, patterns, and pop culture designs. Plus, they help to protect your desk from spills and scratches.
- An ergonomic mousepad not only compliments your desk but also helps to prevent your hand and wrist from hurting by the end of the day.
Wall art pulls together the decor of your workspace and sets the mood for your desk area. Art can add beauty, inspiration, nostalgia, and function. Choose pieces that offer a pleasant place to focus when you need a break from your monitor.
- Framed art can bring beauty and sophistication to your workplace. It’s both aesthetically pleasing for you as you work and for co-workers or clients visiting your office.
- Motivational art combines images with text meant to inspire improved action and feelings. Avoid motivational quotes that have become cliches and opt for phrases that have deep meaning for yourself or your company’s mission.
- Photos of scenery or your loved ones add a warm aesthetic to your workplace.
- A monthly chalkboard calendar can offer a rustic design element while providing function.
Plants offer a natural aesthetic to your office workplace. When working inside, it’s pleasant and uplifting to surround yourself with calming, stress-reducing greenery. Opt for real plants if you have natural light and can keep them alive. Otherwise, faux plants make a great option.
- The best real plants for office space include peace lilies, bamboo, and snake plants, among other hardy species.
- Faux or fake plants are easier to maintain yet still offer many of the benefits of adding greenery.
Aesthetic desk decor styles and inspiration
Before you purchase new desk supplies to improve the aesthetic of your office workplace, take time to consider your preferred decor style. Choose a desk decor style that suits your tastes and aligns with your office space. The right decor style can help your workday flow better, improve your focus, and help you get more done.
The most common decor styles for an office workspace include minimalist and cozy.
Minimalist desk decor must have
- A clean workspace
- Only the necessities
- Zero clutter
- White or neutral color palette.
Cozy desk decor offers
- Soft textures
- Accessories that reflect your personality
- Extra necessities within arm’s reach
- Warm or pastel colors
Final thoughts on aesthetic desk ideas
Aesthetics can add a joyful element to your desk workspace. When your work area appears pleasing, your work output and enjoyment often increase. Simple changes in color, texture, lighting, and organizational elements can make a significant difference. When you work in a beautiful environment, it’s easy to feel good about the job you do each day.